Today while studying for my Doctrine and Covenants exam I re-read a quote from our required reading. It went as follows:
“I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far away [from God], that if I immerse myself in the scriptures the distance narrows and the spirituality returns.”
Pres. Spencer W. Kimball (Address to CES personnel, July 11, 1966, BYU.)
For some reason this quote hit me so hard. I have definitely seen this exact thing prevalent in my life, especially while being here at school. Sometimes I can get so caught up in my worries and day-to-day activities that the spiritual parts of my life get pushed to the side. I personally think that when I devote my time to the Lord by "immers[ing] myself in scriptures," then all other parts of my life fall into place. School becomes easier, I become a better person, life becomes easier, etc. As I put my faith in the Lord, come unto Christ, and strive to live the commandments, he helps me in all aspects of my life.
Here is another quote I liked:
"It is a paradox that men will gladly devote time every day for many years to learn a science or art; yet will expect to win knowledge of the gospel which comprehends all sciences and arts, through perfunctory glances at books or occasional listening to sermons. The gospel should be studied more intensely than any school or college subject. They who pass opinion on the gospel without having given it intimate and careful study are not lovers of truth, and their opinions are worthless."
Elder John A. Widtsoe (Evidences and Reconciliation’s, Vol. 3, pp. 16-17)
I love the part about how the gospel should be studied more intensely than any school or college subject. It's definitely been an adjustment for me learning how to balance all my time in college and still put the Lord first. Coming to know of the mysteries of God takes time. Nothing comes that easily. That's why I love listening to Conference. It is a time where I can learn of the things that I need to do better in, and it comes directly from my Heavenly father! I love how you can be hearing the same doctrines and principles that you've heard all your life, but you can still get different messages out of it. There are specific lessons just for me that Heavenly Father wants me to hear. Things I need to improve on and prepare for.
Anyway, those were just some of my thoughts.
And now I have a sudden craving for chocolate...
4 comments:
beautifully put. amen sister.
i LOVE the idea that the gospel requires more intensive study than secular subjects-i find myself getting annoyed when i don't know everything in book of mormon, but i just need to remember it's an ETERNAL journey and quest for knowledge!
love.
Thanks so much for posting this, babe.
I really needed that.
Oh, Kendra darling.
I have been going through similar things lately.
Those quotes. Your writing. Absolutely beautiful.
Post a Comment